Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mastellones Deli and Wine

Rating: 4 stars
Price-5-10$ a sandwich
Portions- Average
Parking- Street parking only
Seating: None
Website: NONE

First of all, who doesn't have a website these days. I mean honestly! But, I do think that this kind of place is so old school Baltimore that if just goes with the theme.

Mastellones is easy to over look. Yesterday becca and I went in search of yummy lunch eats and headed down Harford. We had full intentions of going to mullers (sp) but they were closed. As we walked back to the car I noticed a deli across the street. Some how I have never seen this place. When ever I drive down this block I am drawn by the the "neon sin" of dead fredies and the radiant flowing locks on the Umbertos sign. My eye is always on the left side of the road, Honestly, it really is the total look. I digress (yes, i do jeannne) ANYWAY I was seeing this deli for the first time. It looked old and better then old its looked the a well loved Italian place... the best kind!

So we walk across the street and enter. I was blown away, lots of imported foods and wines. HOW HAVE I NEVER BEEN HERE!Home made cheese, fresh everything. It was awesome. And just when i thought t couldn't get any better we found the menu. SCORE. There are no tables at Materllones, they only do to go orders. Becca and I decided to split 2 sandwiches so we would each have a chance to taste more. As we looked through the menu we both decided the prosciutto with mozzarella would be a winner and nether of us gave much thought to the other sandwich, I wanted ham and they had a sandwich with a "special sauce". I love a good homemade sauce and I love things that are special so we went with it. I wish i could remember what the sandwich was called it was maybe the best sandwich I have ever eaten. It was OUT OF THIS WORLD good. Both becca and my dad agree that it was a really "stand out" sandwich. Our sandwiches were about 7$ each, and worth every penny. They were big and made with super fresh ingredients. Your really cant beat that.

I will be going back to Mastellones and next time I am buying mini nutella (they have that!)

4 comments:

  1. That place is awesome. They have fresh bread for an amazingly low price there, too, so if you're having pasta (or whatever) at home, definitely worth picking some up. They have bulk basil for cheaper than you'd buy it at the grocery store. And my grandfather is obsessed with the Italian cookies they sell in the glass case up front.
    --Heather in Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the bulk basil, THANKS FOR THE TIP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must try the meatball sub. It is amazing! Beware, it is giant. So big, in fact, that three people could easily share it and have leftovers to spare.

    --Telly in Lauraville

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great place. Make sure you try the Italian Cold Cut. The Veggie sub is the best meat free sandwich on the planet, and that is an understatement.

    ReplyDelete