Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hamilton Tavern

Rating: 4 stars
Price- 8-15$
Portions- Big
Parking- Easy
Seating: Limited, about 10-12 tables total
Website: http://www.hamiltontavern.com/

Review:
My father grew up in Hamilton, in our house it was never called Hamilton, it was simply, the "old neighborhood". Some of my favorite memories are in Hamilton, its only fair that now some of my favorite restaurants in the world now reside their as well.

Our Friday dinners are becoming sort of a tradition. Ann, Archie, Joe and I got together again for dinner, and as always, we looked no further then my beloved Harford road.

You enter the tavern through a curtain, which i thought was weird but actually turned out to rather brilliant. The curtain kept the cold Baltimore air from bothering those looking to have a good time. The bar was kind of loud, but that is to be expected for a Friday night.

The menu was sparse but all of the choices sounded great. This tavern is the kind of place that only offers a few foods, but the food that they offer they have perfected. Joe and Ann had the cross town burger, it was wonderful. They put syrup on the bun! Yey sugar! Ann had the true crosstown experience with an egg to top the burger. Both choices were burger-licious. Joe actually debating getting 2 because they were that good! I had the meatloaf, it was so delious. My father makes an amazing meatloaf and I really would be hard pressed to pick a favorete meatloaf now. It was a mix of 3 differnt meats which made super tender. I was very impressed with the serving size. When the food came out I was sure that I would have a TON left over, but it was so good I ate every bit of it! Archie had the hot turkey, it was also very well done. The gravy had that homemade taste that you really can't fake. The stuffing that came with his turkey was made from what looked like buns. Not only was it very tasty but it really impressed me that they used their resources that well. I like places that reduce waste by recreating and re-purposing ingredients. As always, Ann and I ordered desert, we had the chocolate stout cake. IT WAS glorious! I would have licked the plate if there had been anything left on it.

Creativity is evident at the Hamilton Tavern. We will be returning to see what else they come up with!

1 comment:

  1. The hot turkey platter at Hamilton Tavern is one of my all-time favorites! In fact, everything I've ever had there has been excellent. My one and only complaint about the food is that when you order the steamed mussels -- which are divine -- you get only 2 small pieces of bread. Any mussel eater knows that one needs lots of bread to sop up the tasy liquid! (Requesting more bread results in 2-3 more small pieces,..)

    So, we just keep asking for more bread! :-)

    ReplyDelete